Book Activity: Magpie Crafts

We're into our first week of Waldorf-inspired homeschooling for 3 Year Old Kindergarten.
Book Activity: Magpie Crafts
I like to use our books that we are reading as springboards for our play and learning activities.

This week we have been reading Waddle Giggle Gargle by Pamela Allen.


The magpie featured in this book is the Australian Magpie. A very different bird to the British Magpie! Although they share the same colouring, the Australian magpie is twice the size and has a nasty habit of swooping anyone that comes near it's nest during nesting season.

As a child I came to know the terrors of magpie nesting season, getting swooped often on my way to school. We had a variety of defences for keeping a magpie at bay, my favourite being the empty icecream tub on the head with eyes decorated all over it (we discovered they wont swoop if they think you're looking at them)!


The children have loved hearing me tell this tale from my childhood for storytelling :) For more on the place of storytelling and books in our Kindergarten Curriculum have a read of ABC's of a Waldorf Mama: Letters F-J.

Inspired by this gorgeous and fun book we used a magpie in flight drawn onto card. I then cut the magpie out so I had a frame and I had a magpie for another project.

You can download the template here.

Magpie Craft.pdf by Triple T Mum


I attached contact paper to the frame picture to be used in a collage activity.
Book Activity: Magpie Crafts
Strawberry and Ooffa joined in on this activity.
Book Activity: Magpie Crafts
They really enjoyed touching the stickyness of the contact paper and were excited by the Create Trays that I placed on the tables with the collage materials. I needed a tray each for Strawberry and Ooffa as sharing at two is a foreign concept!
Book Activity: Magpie Crafts
They also enjoyed putting pom poms on the sticky contact and taking them off again :)
Book Activity: Magpie Crafts
The magpie picture was used in a glueing and glitter activity. I gave chook a small bottle of white glue. He then 'drew' lines and squiggles with the glue.
Book Activity: Magpie Crafts
Once he had completed the glue 'drawing' we placed the magpie into our glitter tray. Using our egg shakers Chook shook as much glitter as we could all over the magpie revealing the gorgeous way he had decorated the wing tips.
Book Activity: Magpie Crafts
 I just love putting their art work on the door :)
Book Activity: Magpie Crafts

Chook - 3.5 years old
Strawberry - 24 months
Ooffa - 24 months
Don't forget to follow us on Facebook & Pinterest where I love sharing new ideas on parenting with joy, creative play and learning through play.
Subscribe to Triple T Mum by Email

Links to the Early Years Learning Framework for Australia:
  • Children are connected with and contribute to their world: begin to understand and experience sharing of materials, explore relationships of magpies living in an urban environment with people
  • Children have a strong sense of identity: express their ideas, willing to discover new textures and materials, confident to try new things
  • Children have a strong sense of wellbeing: use their senses to explore the world around them, use art materials safely, experience sharing as a 'feel good' activity
  • Children are confident and involved learners: explore and participate in art activities, make predictions about what will happen next in the story, learn about the Australian magpie during nesting season
  • Children are effective communicators: express ideas, use language to ask for what they want

11 comments:

  1. Their artwork looks so lovely on the windows Amie...what a fab activity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie :) The twins had a great time exploring the materials offered.

      Delete
  2. They turned out beautifully! Love all the colours. I've been meaning to do a contact project too, and even found a roll of contact in the cupboard yesterday! And I bet your kids enjoyed your story from when you were younger :-) I tell Dino Boy a story 'from when I was little' each night as part of his bedtime ~ he loves them and it is nice to think back to those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm yes it is difficult to love magpies with their ferocious swoop! I once was chased for over a kilometre on my bike and ended up blowing my calf muscle trying to ride away from her!! But they do sing so beautifully…so I guess they can stay :D

    Might get the contact paper out this week :) It's so fun and they always look so pretty on the windows, don't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear what a story! Reminded me of a few close calls with my eldest.

      Delete
  4. We LOVE that book!
    I'd love to hear your 'Waddle Giggle Gargle Paddle Poodle' Amie ;)

    Looks like a super fun activity and really effective when hung on the windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making the magpie song would have to be my favourite part...and the noise makers :)

      Delete
  5. I think the contact and the frame are fantastic ideas. They look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love making contact frames, it's such a great activity for toddlers who don't have preschooler crafting abilities yet. But I hadn't thought to shape them - magpie shape is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look beautiful! What a great fine motor activity. I remember and love this book, will have to see if we can find it on our next library trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you found it at the library! It is such a fun book :)

      Delete

*Due to spam overload I am now moderating comments*

Thanks for popping in! Please feel free to chime in with any comments, suggestions or ideas. I love reading your comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...